Importing both sides of a transaction

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 31 14:13:01 EDT 2012

Hi,

Ewan Slater <ewan.slater at googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks.
>
> Adding the line LExpenses:Car:Petrol adds the other side of the split.
>
> A little further digging around the QIF specification would suggest that I
> should be able to use something like:
> SLiabilities:Mastercard
> EAccount to be charged
> $-50
> SExpenses:Car:Petrol
> EAccount to be paid
> $50
>
> But a freaky thing happens - the account that gets charged (and indeed
> created) is Equities:Retained Earnings
>
> Bizarre.

Not at all.  You are saying here that you have a multi-split transaction
between the "current" account, L:Mc, and Ex:C:Petrol..  But it's a
zero-sum transaction.  I don't think this is what you want to do.  Just
have a QIF file, creditcard.qif:

!Type:CCard
D1/1/2012
PEsso
T50
LExpenses:Car:Petrol

Then just assign QIF Account creditcard to Liabilities:Mastercard.  Done.

> In any case the L code gets me a long way towards where I want to be.

Yep.  :)