End of Reporting Period

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 20:04:20 EDT 2012

Fred--

For reporting purposes, it is not necessary to close accounts; you can simply change your report options to include only 2012 data.

If you still wish to close your accounts in order to follow classic accounting guidelines to "close the books" each year, you can do so using the Close Books option under Tools. This creates zeroing transactions for your income and expense accounts. Please realize that this won't actually eliminate earlier transactions; you will still need to follow my suggestion above about report options.

There are some who use what might be called a Full Nuclear option, where they essentially start a new file each year, creating an empty account structure file and manually entering opening balance transactions for every account. That is truly your only way to avoid seeing earlier transactions. I'm not recommending it, mind you.

David