End of Reporting Period

Carson Chittom carson at wistly.net
Sat Jun 2 07:23:07 EDT 2012

David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> If you really don't want the data in the file at all for some reason,
> that is not so easy to do.  One possible approach is to create a new
> file using the same chart of accounts as last year but starting with the
> new transactions.  You would need to manually enter the starting
> balances for all the asset and liability accounts.

If you're comfortable with the command line, you can also use John
Wiegley's ledger[1] tool, which reads Gnucash files[2] in addition to
its own format.  The documentation gives straightforward instructions[3]
for quickly archiving previous years to a separate file without having
to type in balances manually--though you'd probably need to edit the
resulting file in order to maintain exactly what you want and no more.

Keep backups, obviously.

I used to use ledger for my accounting, but switched to Gnucash because
"comfortable with the command line" is something my wife isn't.

[1] http://ledger-cli.org
[2] If compiled with XML support, which the downloadable Windows binary
*isn't*, IIRC.  And the files have to be uncompressed.
[3] http://ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Archiving-Previous-Years