Accounts receivable

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 4 10:12:56 EDT 2012

Hi,

Dean Gibson <gnucash at ultimeth.com> writes:

> On 2012-06-01 11:08, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Rule #2 should be:  Allow for corrections when importing a large number
>>> of transactions from QuickBooks (as I did). (grin)
>>
>> You cannot import invoices, so that's irrelevant to this discussion.
>
> Sorry, everywhere in my message where I previously stated
> "accounts-receivable", I meant "accounts-payable".

Same difference.  The code is the same, the only difference is the end
owner is a Vendor instead of a Customer.

> I imported "bills" (QuickBooks terminology) transactions (see my
> message on 2012-02-18 as to how I did it, if you are interested) into
> a GnuCash account and marked it as an A/P-type account.  Those
> transactions in GnuCash look EXACTLY like (eg, the "type" field
> contains "?") the ones that are created when I reconcile a credit card
> ("CC) account in GnuCash, and then use the resultant screen that posts
> the reconciled amount to that "A/P" account.  This is the same
> procedure that I used in QuickBooks.

Again, don't use an A/P account unless you're using Vendor Bills (and
the associated Process Payment).

> Am I doing something wrong?  Should I not be posting CC
> reconciliations to an A/P account?

No, you should not.

>>> ...  If I can't edit the A/R transaction directly, there should be SOME way to
>>> fix errors.
>>
>> There is, depending on the error.  For invoices you can can unpost the
>> invoice, make changes, and then re-post it.  For payments, however, you
>> have to delete and re-enter it IFF the amount is wrong.
>
> OK, that's reasonable.  For CC reconciliations, do I have to go back
> and re-reconcile the CC account?

I don't understand why you would have to do that...  You can just point
the transaction at another account instead of A/P -- I would recommend
you point it to the bank account from which you actually PAY the credit
card!  And you can safely move that transaction from the CC account.  It
wont affect A/P because it's not a business transaction and therefore
has no business metadata (which means it has no business being in A/P --
har har).