Finding or creating monthly and quarterly report forms

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jun 8 07:29:21 EDT 2012

>I guess the truth of that statement depends upon how much customization you need. If it fits within the built-in customization options for the existing reports in question, see
>http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-help/Reports.html
>
>If you need to create new reports or modify existing ones beyond what the built-in options provide, then it's not true. Programming is required, and it isn't easy.
>
>Regards,
>John Ralls

This came up for one of the organizations for which I am treasurer when
we switched to gnucash. The reports coming out of gnucash were not in
the FINAL form for presentation to the board. I asked the fellow board
member who is our lawyer type but also the treasurer of the law
association's charitable org what to do about that. Whether I should
code custom reports since in my case I was a programmer (a few hundred
thousand line of financial software in my day). He told me "don't bother
Mike".

The reason? He said that almost any accountant preparing the final
version would surely prefer instead to use his or her favorite editor
for that purpose using the DATA from the reports coming out of gnucash.
makes sense as there is a great deal to add, the fixed text parts (that
would be easy to do in a custom report) but also all the annotation
which would not. Annotation  requires the power of editing software. Why
reinvent the wheel (report editing capability within gnucash) when
plenty of editors already exist.

How much extra work? Not a lot. It doesn't take a great deal of time to
copy the data of an exported report into a document you can edit.

Michael