Separate salary accounts?

James Duerr fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 11:10:34 EDT 2012

On 06/16/2012 02:36 AM, Michael Henry wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Should I create a separate "salary" account for every employer? I currently
> have two salary accounts, one for my wife and one for myself, but I changed
> jobs a few months ago and it has just occurred to me that I should put
> payments from my new employer as coming from a separate account. The point
> of doing this is obviously to be able to track income from each employer,
> but the issue that arises is that the old employer salary account is
> defunct; it will never be used again and will clutter up my accounts.
>
> In the process of composing this e-mail I think I have answered my own
> question (keep a single salary account) but I'm not sure how I would
> distinguish between income from my current employer and my previous
> employer. If this is trivial then I probably shouldn't have a separate
> salary account for my wife as I can use the same mechanism to distinguish
> salary payments from her employer. Does this make sense?
>
> Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I create a separate account for each person each employer (although not
yet struggled with having both my wife and I having the same employer)
and then when that employer is defunct, I hide it, and mark the account
as a placeholder so it doesn't show up in lists, this allows me to see
everything from a single employer, and keeps my account list fairly tidy.

James Duerr