Please Help: Where is my data?

Aureliu Porumbescu. Ph.D. mangesius at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 08:47:55 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I have been a happy user of gnucash for a year now. So much so that I added the thumbnail onto the left navigation bar in Ubuntu.

Then the day before yesterday the thumbnail icon disappeared, and now when I relaunch Gnucash all I get is a read-only file. Now, this is Ubuntu, not Microsoft, and one expects no crashes.

SO, please, someone tell me, where is my real, live file hiding in this computer, and how do I relaunch gnucash, recover my work, and continue from where I left off? (I see a whole bunch of files on the desktop, one on top of the other, but can't figure out which is the magic one.)

Many thanks,
Aureliu M. porumbescu, Ph.D.