Please Help: Where is my data?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jun 17 09:11:12 EDT 2012

hi,

On Sun, June 17, 2012 8:47 am, Aureliu Porumbescu. Ph.D. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I have been a happy user of gnucash for a year now. So much so that I
> added the thumbnail onto the left navigation bar in Ubuntu.
>

> Then the day before yesterday the thumbnail icon disappeared, and now when
> I relaunch Gnucash all I get is a read-only file. Now, this is Ubuntu, not
> Microsoft, and one expects no crashes.
>
> SO, please, someone tell me, where is my real, live file hiding in this
> computer, and how do I relaunch gnucash, recover my work, and continue
> from where I left off? (I see a whole bunch of files on the desktop, one
> on top of the other, but can't figure out which is the magic one.)

What version of GnuCash are you running?

You should read the FAQ:
  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Where_is_my_GnuCash_data_file.3F
  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_What_are_all_these_.gnucash_and_.log_files_filling_up_my_directory.3F

Unfortunately I cannot answer about the thumbnail icon -- that's an
Ubuntu-specific thing and I don't do Ubuntu.

As for the Read-Only nature, this implies to me that it is finding your
data file but it's "locked".   Does it open with any dialogs about the
data file being locked? Or does it just open directly into a read only
state?  How do you know it's "readonly"?

Hope to help,

> Many thanks,
> Aureliu M. porumbescu, Ph.D.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745