Downgrading To Older Version

Arne Hanssen lists at tuxic.net
Fri Mar 2 13:55:00 EST 2012

Den 02. mars 2012 17:58, skrev Colin Law:
> On 2 March 2012 16:51, Frank Gore<gore at fpzmedia.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Derek Atkins<warlord at mit.edu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Could I recommend you switch to another distro, like Ubuntu or Fedora,
>>> where you can get 2.4.10?
>>
>> I'm sick of the upgrade carousel and the quickly-expired product
>> support of free distributions. Everytime I upgrade to a new distro,
>> some new thing is broken and ends up frustrating me to no end. These
>> Gnucash issues in openSUSE 12.1 are a prime example of that, it's like
>> the openSUSE devs didn't bother checking to see if it worked before
>> releasing. And it took them endless months to finally resolve "most"
>> of the problems.
>>
>> Our business can't keep jumping through these hoops at every distro
>> release cycle. This is why we're looking at long-term supported Linux
>> distributions like SLED or RHELD. I see that Gnucash 2.4 is available
>> in the EPEL repo for RedHat 6, so we might go that route instead. But
>> I'd much rather stay within the SLE family since our server runs SLES
>> 11.
>
> The LTS versions of Ubuntu are supported for 3 years, but starting
> with 12.04 (to be released in April) it will be 5 years.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Another candidate could be Debian (stable), which I run on my server(s).
  Debian is somewhat conservative regarding the latest versions of
software - stability is priority.  Upgrading is very easy and has been
for many years.  I have never had a software issue with Debian.  From
what Frank writes, it sounds like Debian could be the very thing.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, but is more "bleeding edge".  I'm using
Ubuntu on my desktop because I want more recent software, at the cost of
some stability - I guess.

--
Vennlig hilsen / Best regards      |\     ___,,--,        _
Arne Hanssen, Senja, Norway        /,`--''        \-,,__,'/