Importing transactions for commodities used by multiple accounts.

Paul Pantages pdp at centinasystems.com
Sun Mar 4 18:15:29 EST 2012

Hello Gnucashers,

Gnucash 2.4.9 / Fedora Release 15

I have had some trouble importing transactions from my mutual fund accounts.

The problem have is, I have several securities that appear in more than one
account. For example, I have mutual fund XXX in both Individual and IRA accounts.

I export qfx files (quicken format) from my institution and then import the
files into gnucash.

I did the first import on my Individual accounts that worked well enough. But
when I attempted to import my IRA accounts, the transactions for fund XXX were
associated with the individual account used earlier.

I definitely did not pick the wrong accounts when prompted during the import; I
double checked and have tried the import several times.

I searched around a bit and found an explanation of sorts (a posting on Sep 25
2008): the importer associates the security's uniqueId with a Gnucash account's
online_id.

I took a look inside the downloaded QFX files on these accounts. I can see the
uniqeId, (CUSIP), is identical in all cases. So, if the secid.uniqueid is mapped
to a single account, I don't see how I can make this work...

Example qfx secinfo:

<SECINFO>
     <SECID>
     <UNIQUEID>922906201
     <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID>
     <SECNAME>Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund
     <TICKER>VMMXX
     <FIID>0030
     <UNITPRICE>1.0
     <MEMO>Price as of date based on closing price
</SECINFO>

Has anyone encountered this and found a solution? I would expect that this would
be very common, with all the different type of investment accounts available....

Any help will be appreciated.

PdP