Running GC from thumb drive.

Tom Collier tom.collier at comcast.net
Mon Mar 5 13:42:20 EST 2012

I run 2 versions from thumb drive...both of which I use for  practice.
(My "real" GnuCash installation is 2.2.9 running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.)

Both thumb drive installations involve "borrowing" the host computer's
RAM and CPU with all the data staying on the thumb drive.  The first is
the Portable Apps (www.portableapps.com) version of GC 2.4.8, which
requires Windows. (I tried PortableApps GnuCash 2.4.9, but my Win 7 or
anti-virus software kept throwing up at attempted installation. At the
time, all three ... CG 2.4.9, Win7 and the anti-virus ... were new to me
and I didn't have time to impose learning curve on myself.)

The second is the Puppy Linux version 2.2.9 of GnuCash, which is
installed as a part of the Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2.8 distro, all
self-contained on a 32gb thumb drive.

Both thumb drive installations work swimmingly for the limited personal
use I make of GnuCash.  Others on the list, possessing more
cyber-guru-idity than I, will surely weigh in on your question.

Tom Collier