Implementing COGS in GnuCash for a small business

David Gillam dave at davegillam.org
Mon Mar 5 13:43:40 EST 2012

I'm far from an expert, so will defer to more knowledgeable people, but if I understand it correctly, you want to:

- Increase an expense account for hardware (retail) when the hardware is bought by you.
- Decrease an expense account for hardware (retail) when the hardware is bought by your customer (split transaction for same amount as hardware cost you)
- Increase an expense account for software (retail) when the software is bought by you.
- Decrease an expense account for software (retail) when the software is bought by your customer (split transaction for same amount as software cost you)
- Increase an asset account by the profit portion of the split (price - cost)
- Increase the appropriate tax-related accounts

So this can all be done as a split transaction, appropriately split as described above.  As you buy goods to sell, the expense accounts are increased.  As you sell those goods, the expense accounts are decreased (offsetting the costs).  Retained profit is accumulated in an asset account, and taxes paid by your customers are accumulated in tax liability accounts.  When you pay those taxes to the state, etc., you decrease the tax liability accounts.

David
Gillam Data Services, Inc. - Computer Training, Consulting, & Service
dave at davegillam.com | www.davegillam.com | 214-543-2788