How to move from Quickbooks to Gnucash?

Gregory Forster fgreg74 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:06:35 EST 2012

I'm currently in the transition of changing from Peachtree Complete
Accounting (including payroll) to GNUcash.  Without any import/export
function, even from Quickbooks, transition can be done.  It's easiest if
the transition is started after year end closing (Peachtree) and
starting GNUcash on January 1st.  I'm keeping parallel books as a check
(both Peachtree and GNUcash).  Peachtree, as with Quickbooks, rely very
heavily on their GUI input.  I prefer GNUcash because of it's stronger
direct gaap input.  (I guess I'm more of an accounting geek).

The real challenge is doing payroll.  All the expense and liability
accounts can be utilized in GNUcash.  However, the actual payroll
calculations have to be done in a spreadsheet (I use LibreOffice).
Automation is constantly challenging.   I would love to see how a cell
content from a spreadsheet can automatically input into a debit, or
credit into GNUcash.

Greg