LOST MY ACCOUNT HOW TO RECOVER IT

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 03:53:00 EST 2012

On 9 March 2012 00:33, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Yawar Amin wrote:
>> On 2012-03-08, at 12:19, Muhammad Babar Sayeed wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Yawar,
>>>
>>> I was using GNUCASH since last one month and it was working fine but suddenly when I opened it , it opens but did not show any of my enteries. What happenned is unknown to me.
>>>

>>> Kindly let me know how to recover everything.
>>>
>>> Awaiting reply.
>>>

> Look in the directory where you keep your account file. You should find a bunch of files of the form "foo.gnucash.20120212140653.gnucash" (substitute the name your filename for "foo"). The numbers are a timestamp. The example is for 2012-Feb-12 at 14:06:53. Open the most recent of those files; if it looks OK, use File>Save As to save it with your original file name. If it doesn't look good, repeat with the next-most-recent and so on, until you find one that does look OK.

It might be worth first looking for your original accounts file, which
will be named either whatever-you-called-it-when-you-original-saved-it
and may have the extension .gnucash (or may not dependent I think on
which version you were using).  If you can find that then use File >
Open in gnucash to open it.

I presume from the fact that you asked the question that you have not
been keeping a separate backup of the file.  Please anyone who reads
this note that computers and disks can go up in smoke (literally or
metaphorically) at any time and if you have not got a separate backup
of your accounts file then you may loose all your data if this
happens.

Colin