Associating Saved Reports and Preferences with Data File.

Bob Taylor philologos at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 16 09:39:41 EDT 2012

I have already made it clear, but will repeat my opinion All preferences and custom reports should be associated with the data file.

My workaround seems to work pretty well.  It has several drawbacks though.
1.  Each company file (or personal) must be set up.  This is tricky.  The path must be correct (backslashes must be changed to slashes) or the program defaults to "C:\Documents and Settings\user-id\Application Data".
2.  To move a file would also be messy.
3.  Occasionally the preferences are not picked up.  I think this is a timing problem.  It happens only occasionally and closing the file and reopening fixes it.
4.  The file must always be opened with a batch file, i.e. you can't use recent documents or history.  This is not much problem, except:
5.  you must be careful when opening a backup file.  (This, by the way, is the very bestest feature of GC.)
6.  Opening multiple instances of GC is also tricky.  The second instance shares preferences with the first.   However, they have separate custom reports.

Regards, Bob Taylor