Associating Saved Reports and Preferences with Data File.

Bob Taylor philologos at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 14 14:48:13 EDT 2012

So far on this list I seem to raise only issues already known and discussed.  Thanks for your efforts.

After reading the several messages about this subject, let me state my rather emphatic opinion:  all options, all preferences, all custom reports need to be associated with the company file.  Sharing this stuff would be very dangerous.  Suppose, for instance, Jones Plumbing has a fiscal year ending August 31 and I forget to change the date option and generate a report for Smith Auto Parts which is a calendar year client.  As long as I'm doing my own stuff, no problem, but not for clients.

Perhaps it will help to describe my workaround.

Each data file is placed in its own folder. (This seems to be a practical necessity with GC anyway.)
The folder contains a copy of the working files (.gcconf, .gcconfd, etc.)  These directories contain the saved report definitions and options (somewhere).
The folder also contains a altered copy of the "environment" file, which is in C:\Program Files\gnucash\etc\gnucash
This copy of the  "environment" file has a statement added
HOME=path of data directory

I always start GC with a batch file.  (A batch file is a text file containing DOS commands.  Most os have something similar.)
This batch file does two things:
It copies the altered  "environment" file to C:\Program Files\gnucash\etc\gnucash which overlays the file that is there.
It then starts GC for the data file in question.

This workaround solves several problems.  It cleans things up a bit and associates both saved files and preferences with the data.  I don't think GC makes any use of the windows registry (the worst idea microsoft ever had)  so I am hoping that this is ALL the data which can be altered by the program.

In XP a zip file can be used as a directory, so all this can be put in a zip file, which can be saved or transmitted as a single file.

Thanks to all who contributed to this excellent product.
Bob Taylor