Associating Saved Reports and Preferences with Data File.

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Mar 16 15:40:39 EDT 2012

John Layman wrote:

>This is an issue where some customer profiling would be truly helpful.
>Given the nature of GnuCash, I have to wonder what percentage of
>installations actually has more than one user with distinct preferences.

I think this depends on what we are talking about. I don't mean in terms
of what percentage involve more than one user but what multiple user
support are we talking about assuming there are multiple users.

Gnucash does support some things with respect to multiple users. Not
simultaneous multiple users of course, but with multiple sequential
users ..........

a) The "lock" prevents more than one from accessing the data at the same
time (you want that when there is no support for simultaneous users).

b) Assuming that only the data is being shared (lives in a space shared
between users) I would think that each user could  have his or her own
preferences. Aren't those stored in the user's data area? OK, I'm
running an old version, but that's where it seems to "live" in my
installation. What do we mean here? Users also sharing a log in or users
with their own separate log ins and so separate data areas? (where a
user can access only data in his or her own data area or data in a data
area defined as shared -- but not data in another user's data area)

Michael