Crash in 2.4.10 under Windows (was: GnuCash 2.4.10 released)

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 15:02:54 EDT 2012

I downloaded and installed 2.4.10 on a Windows XP x64 system yesterday.  I
was previously running 2.4.7 without apparent problems, but since I am still
setting up my accounts in GnuCash, perhaps I wasn't working it that hard.
The new release identifies itself as r22003.  I recently enabled trading
accounts, and am making significant changes to my account structure to
accommodate multiple currencies.  GC 2.4.10 has now crashed at least 3 times
while I was trying to make these changes.  However, it isn't clear to me
whether or not this really has to do with my actions in GC.  One crash
occurred while I was changing focus from the Help-Tutorial window back to
GC.  I thought it might be a memory problem, so I tried saving more
frequently and turning auto-saves back on, but this doesn't seem to help.
After a crash, the changes made to the account structure are preserved, but
changes made to the appearance of the "Accounts" tab (i.e. which parts of
the tree are expanded or collapsed) are not.
I also have what appears to be an unrelated problem.  One of the changes I
made (after a few of the crashes mentioned above) was to create an interest
income subaccount in USD to eliminate an unwanted trading transaction (my
default currency is CHF).  After redirecting the transaction to the newly
created account, the amounts do not match, even though both source and
destination account are in USD. There are also still entries in the trading
accounts, even though I have performed "Actions - Check & Repair - Check &
Repair All".  When I tryto restore equality in the 2 "real" account entries
by deleting the trading account transaction, GC crashed.  My attempt to
start this session in debug mode was unsuccessful due to a syntax error, but
I have attached the log file from the session, in case that helps.
I was in the process of migrating from Quicken to GC, but now find it
necessary to reenter everything I have entered in GC in Quicken :-(, unless
someone can suggest a less painful alternative.  In view of the errors in
GC; I am nervous about trying to export the transacations from GC and import
them into Quicken.  should I try to go back to an older version of GC and,
if so, which one?
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4482706/2012wTrading.gnucash.20120318183756.log
2012wTrading.gnucash.20120318183756.log