Use of cheque printing facility.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Mar 22 13:02:43 EDT 2012

On 22-03-12 16:27, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Paddy,
>
> Paddy Walker<yarelea at paston.co.uk>  writes:
>
>> Derek,
>> 	Thank you for your reply. As I understand you then. If I pay a single
>> bill and fill in the amount with the cumulative for all bills owed to
>> that vendor, gnucash will pay all the bills unpaid. The result will be
>> the desired single line in the bank account register which can be
>> highlighted to write a single cheque. Rather smarter than me !
> Don't think of it as "paying an invoice", think of it as "paying the
> customer".  When you pay a customer GnuCash will apply that payment to
> one or more invoices.  When you happen to select an invoice (note: this
> is 100% optional!) during payment processing, that invoice will be the
> first in line to get the payment applied.  After that, GnuCash will
> apply the payment in FIFO order to any outstanding invoices.

I'd like to add here that part of my work on credit notes in the
development version of GnuCash also modifies the payment dialog. It's
not fully stabilized yet, but you will be able to select more than one
invoice to apply a payment to. Right now, this new logic won't
automatically assign a payment to invoices if no invoice was selected.
Instead a pre-payment transaction is created that can later be linked to
any (perhaps future?) invoice.

I still have to improve the automatic invoice-payment matching to
maintain usage compatibility with the current way things work. If I
haven't done so by the time 2.5.0 gets released, feel free to remind me
of this.

Geert