Check printing in windows?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:45:36 EDT 2012

On 19 March 2012 16:15, John Layman <john.layman at laymanandlayman.com> wrote:
> FOSS, schmoss .  If, in fact, GnuCash aims no higher than to be hobby-grade
> software, written for the sole purpose of being a plaything for a small
> community of dweebs, then they certainly are entitled to navel-gaze to their
> hearts' content.  What you are describing is software whose target customer
> is its creator and only its creator.  All others take warning.

There is no reason why developers working on FOSS as a hobby should
not produce high quality software.  I don't know how many of the
developers do it as part of a business exercise and how many do it as
a hobby, but either way if their business or personal needs/interests
are not affected by a particular bug it is difficult to think of a
reason why they should spend their time (which is valuable whether
doing it as a hobby or a business) working on it.  Such is the nature
of FOSS.

> For the record, I am a developer. And for the record, I am affected by the
> defect in question and have implemented a workaround. I have my hands full
> running a business that provides management consulting to firms that develop
> software that is more than a pastime.  Alas, I am too busy to devote time to
> any hobby.  There is much to like about GnuCash, and I am grateful for the
> hours the developers devote to it, but spare us the notion that FOSSers are
> engaged in an act of heroic altruism.

So you are a developer, but you have not got time to fully fix this
particular problem because other things are a higher priority, but you
expect others to fix it for you?

Colin L