"Capital Accounts" for partnerships

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Mar 23 08:14:40 EDT 2012

>But then, how do I get gnucash to determine an individual owner/member's
>equity, taking into account profit/loss? Is that a manual process?

Since how profits and losses are to be divided up among the partners
depends upon the details of your partnership agreement how could you
expect that to be other than a manual process? I suppose an accounting
package designed specifically for partnership accounting could have
places for you to enter "percentage of profit" and "percentage of loss"
(not NECESSARILY the same) to automate the simpler sorts of agreements.
But many partnership agreements for common sorts of professional
partnerships (such as for a law firm) are MUCH more complex than that.

Michael