Auto production of pdf invoices.

Andrew Greig pushin.linux at gmail.com
Mon May 7 05:41:14 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 12:00 -0400, gnucash-user-request at gnucash.org
wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 10:52:11 -0400
> From: Eric Morey <eric at glodime.com>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: Auto production of pdf Invoices
>
> On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 23:00 +1000, Andrew Greig wrote:
> > Is there a way to automatically create a pdf Invoice and either save it
> > to a folder correctly named, or email it, directly attached as a pdf?
> >
> > This would reduce my time considerably.
> >

> If you are using linux, every distribution I've use has a "print to
> file" option in the print window that appears when pressing 'ctrl'+'p'.
> This allows you to create a pdf with the name of your choice in the
> location of your choice.

Hi Eric,

I currently output to pdf.
And then I open up an email for every client and add a greeting and the
PDF as an attachment.  The important word in my question is "Auto" as I
am trying to minimise my time spent on repetitive work.

Currently I choose Reports>Business>Tax Invoice.  Then I go through the
options and add an Invoice number to prime the pump, then I change the
Title to "Tax Invoice" instead of "Invoice" because it is a legal
requirement in Australia.  I Have some text in a file that I cut and
paste into the "Note" section of the Options and OK takes me to my first
invoice.  I select Print and then Print to File, add in the Invoice
number and a customer code so that I can find it easily later to attach
it to an email.  For each subsequent Invoice I return to the options and
add another Invoice Number and do the print to pdf all over again.  What
I would like to do is to have the invoice data ouput to a completed pdf
with an Invoice number and customer code as part of the file name.  I
could feed in a range of Invoice numbers and hey presto, here is the
stack of pdfs ready for mailing.

Hope this clears up what I am seeking to achieve.

Thanks for your involvement.

Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia