Adding historical transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 7 10:03:46 EDT 2012

Scott D Friedemann <scott at friedemann.us> writes:

> I am setting up a business account in GnuCash. The business is not old
> and previous transactions were for Checking, Savings, and Credit Card
> were stored in a Quicken account. These have been exported in QIF
> format and imported flawlessly into GnuCash. Thank you GnuCash team.
>
> What is still missing are the Jobs and Invoices previously
> produced. If I enter them and post to existing accounts the balances
> in these accounts will show what amounts to double entries. Is there a
> way to enter these so the history is there without altering the
> balances in the accounts? I'm thinking of adding a dummy account of
> sorts for the past invoices, but would like to hear if there is any
> best practice method for this.

Unfortunately there is not a good way to import historical Invoices
along side importing transactional information -- you will get
duplicates, because there is no way currently to tie an imported Invoice
to an imported Transaction.

Sorry.

My suggestion: forego historical Invoice data and only enter data going
forward.