Enabling scheduled transaction crashes GnuCash

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 22 22:07:16 EDT 2012

On 5/22/2012 9:35 AM, John Ralls wrote:
> On May 22, 2012, at 12:39 AM, DavidS wrote:
>
>> I've been using GnuCash for a couple of years now.  For several months until
>> today I have been using Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) with GnuCash 2.4.7.  Because
>> of the problem I have been getting I have now upgraded to 2.4.10, but it
>> hasn't helped.
>>
>> I have a couple of dozen scheduled transactions which all work as they
>> should.  I have been trying to add another one, but every time I try to
>> enable it by setting the frequency and then click on OK, GnuCash crashes.
>>
>> I've compared the options I've ticked and the layout of items on the three
>> tabs in the Scheduled Transaction Editor with other scheduled transactions
>> which work, and I can't see anything different, abnormal or inconsistent
>> about the new transaction.
>>
>> I deleted another scheduled transaction in case there was a maximum number
>> allowed by GnuCash, but that didn't help either.
>>
>> Has anyone else come across anything like this?  What could possibly be
>> causing the problem?
> Crashing is a bug, so please follow the debugging instructions in the FAQ and file a bug report:
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Something_bad_happened.3B_how_can_I_help_debug.3F
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_think_I_found_a_bug._How_do_I_report_it.3F
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

David,

Do you start from a register transaction or work from scratch? I
normally start from a register transaction.

 I have fifty or more scheduled transactions working fine in release
2.4.10.  I cannot recall having a crash either in Windows environment or
in Ubuntu 11.10.  I edit about a third of them each time they come up,
usually changing some text, but occasionally I change the start date of
some that should be every month on the third Thursday, which is not an
available choice.  These do not trigger a crash for me.

Good luck.

David C