Reconcilling at the end of the year

Keith Royall kthroyall9 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 03:16:39 EDT 2012

I have only just discovered gnucash, and on first impressions I am
very pleased with it. For a free program, its better than a couple of paid
for versions I've used, especially with the balance sheet reporting.
gnucash balance sheets are laid out in the conventional method; in the paid
for versions they aren't.

Having said that, however, I have couple of questions I don't seem to be
able to find answers for in the help files or anywhere else.

Question 1 - Year End Reporting.

When I start a new year, are the retained earnings/losses carried over
automatically, and do I have to go into 'Preferences' to change the
accounting year dates?

Question 2 - What do I do when a check (Cheque) transaction is not cleared
by the bank until the month following the month I sent the check (Cheque),
and recorded the payment?

I started my first file by entering last year's transactions and tried to
reconcile my December Bank statement.  However, a check (cheque) payment I
made, and recorded, in December didn't go through the banking system for
payment until January, so I didn't tick that transaction as
being reconciled.   This prevented me from finishing the reconcilliation,
as the 'Finish' button was greyed out.  What do I do in this situation?

Regard

kthroyall