No Back End found

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu May 31 05:18:08 EDT 2012

On Wed 30 May 12 16:55:22 FredGMau wrote:
> Hello Geert:
>
> You replied to posting on a problem I am having for gnucash and I hope you
> can help me more.
>
> No suitable backend was found for
> file://C:\Users\Fred\Desktop\.gnucash\books\03May2011.gnucash.gcm
> <file:///C:\Users\Fred\Desktop\.gnucash\books\03May2011.gnucash.gcm> .

Hi,

I don't think that you have the correct file - AFAIK the *.gcm files are
"status" files for things like open tabs etc. (indeed, everything in the
folder ~/.gnucash is to do with status, you shouldn't have your datafile in
there)

Have a hunt on your hard disk for that filename without .gcm, that should have
your data in it. (there should be loads of .log and timestamped files in the
same directory.  They are backups.  just go for the one with the basename
only, with no timestamps etc.)

What was the old version of GC?  the current 2.4.10 should open anything from
2.4.x with no trouble at all, and will probably be fine with any 2.2.x
datafile too.

regards,
Maf.