Environmental file issue

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sun Nov 4 14:58:52 EST 2012

On 04-11-12 17:34, rclar wrote:
> I'm having a bit of a problem with gnucash, and I think I have tracked down
> enough that I generally appreciate what is going on, but not enough to fix
> it. It would appear that when I invoke gnucash on my linux machine, it
> sometimes (most of the time) is operating against a different gnucash file
> than when I ssh into the same machine from a different workstation. I have
> a habit of naming my gnucash file (YYYY.mm), and at the beginning of each
> month I do a save as to the new file name. In order to track down this
> problem I have started keeping weekly files (+%U).
>
> Is there an easy or straightforward command line gconf call that I can use
> to verify what file gnucash will be operating against, before I actually
> start gnucash?
gconftool-2 -g /apps/gnucash/history/file0

GnuCash will automatically load the first file that is stored in its
history list. This history list is stored in gconf. The command above
shows you what the first file is.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but it may be helpful for you to know
that you can always specify a file to open on the command line. So if
you login via ssh, you can start gnucash with the file you want as follows:
gnucash <path-to-your-file>

Geert