rewards points

Richard Bishopp rbishopp44 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 12:00:39 EST 2012

Thanks Tom.  Between your input and Dales I think I can make this work to
track what I want.  Again the goal is to track maintenance cost for a
vehicle. I can pay with rewards points and no cash (or credit card) or a
combination of cash and points.  So to know how much it cost per mile to
operate the vehicle I record those expenses,
I set up a rewards point (% converted to cash) non taxable income account
and also a rewards point asset account.  So I'll point the expense to the
asset account.  I can exclude the asset account when I run a report so this
will work to accurately show my assets. Same with Income reports.  Again
the main concern is expenses.
If you have another idea I'd welcome it.  I read briefly about contra
accounts and will look at that more.  By profession I am a firefighter with
past life experiences that have caused me to watch my cash flow like a hawk.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Rich...