Finance Quote Install difficulties

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Nov 14 08:12:50 EST 2012

On Nov 14, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Erik Colson <eco at ecocode.net> wrote:

> Gill <gill at madyak.net> writes:
>
>> I am trying to get Finance Quote installed on OSX 10.7.4. Gnucash says,
>> "Warning Finance::Quote not installed properly" on the Security Editor. I
>> have installed XCode and downloaded the Command Line Tools and then ran
>> Finance Quote (not from the DMG but from my applications folder) which was
>> unsuccessful. I tried to read some things in forums of similar problems and
>> tried a few of them, but still no success.  Anyhow, here's what came up on
>> my last run of Finance Quote.  I'm not very Linux savvy or Terminal savvy
>> for that matter. Any help?
>>
>> Going to read '/Users/Gill/.cpan/Metadata'
>>  Database was generated on Sun, 11 Nov 2012 19:14:48 GMT
>> LWP is up to date (6.04).
>> Running install for module 'Date::Manip'
>> Running make for S/SB/SBECK/Date-Manip-6.36.tar.gz
>> Checksum for
>> /Users/Gill/.cpan/sources/authors/id/S/SB/SBECK/Date-Manip-6.36.tar.gz ok
>> Package seems to come without Makefile.PL.
>>  (The test -f "/Users/Gill/.cpan/build/SBECK-JeCMtq/Makefile.PL" returned
>> false.)
>>  Writing one on our own (setting NAME to DateManip)
>
> Hi!
>
> The Date::Manip module has been updated on 31 Oct 2012. It added a new
> dependency Test::Inter. And I'd say you should install YAML also
>
> From Terminal try these:
>
>  $> sudo cpan   ### ENTER YOUR ADMIN PASSWORD WHEN ASKED
>  cpan> clean Date::Manip   ### this cleans up the mess in Date::Manip
>  cpan> install YAML
>  cpan> install Test::Inter
>  cpan> install Date::Manip
>
> If at any stage you get error messages: Don't continue the other steps,
> but post the log here.

Hi, Erik,

Something about the Date::Manip upgrade on 31 October is messing up Mac users. I reported this on RT:

But Sullivan doesn't see anything that would cause the problem. There are a couple of work-arounds that I've posted at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_install_Finance::Quote_on_a_Mac.3F

but not all users are able to successfully omcplete either process.

Regards,
John Ralls