Investment documentation suggestions

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 22 02:59:24 EST 2012

Hi all!

First of all, I'd like to thank all the developers for this wonderful product.
I'm very impressed with the functionality and stability.

##### start of rant #########

Darn, I knew if I started this, I'd end up ranting.
If you've seen too much gushing + ranting already, please skip to ##### end of rant ######

I've just spent the last 2 weekends trying it out and can now confidently say I can stop using Quicken/Reckon Personal Plus 2012 for keeping track of the finances & investments (small time) of my wife and I. I've been using the windows version because that enables me to easily see both Quicken and GnuCash on the same screen. I'm so sick of Reckon's constant money grab. They want $105 per year to stay up to date but they don't fix problems,and don't tell you enough about the problems they do fix to know if they really have fixed them. Of course, you can call them if you're happy to pay $$$s per minute for the privilege.

Reckon also seem to be pretty good at spreading Fear Uncertainty & Doubt.
They don't say Personal 2012 won't work in windows 8, they just say only Personal 2013 is certified to work.

Microsoft says:
If your PC is currently running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8.

Anyway, the reason, I'm putting finger to touchscreen, is that I've found a couple of places where the documentation could easily be improved which would have saved me much time, and I want to know if I should raise this as a bug?

1) In the gnucash-guide PDF (2.4 released yesterday + previous version),
the table examples of transactions for Sale of stock with profit and Sale of stock with loss are corrupted when the PDF is downloaded and viewed on both iPad and windows. Thankfully, I found they are OK when the html version is viewed on the web.

2) In the example screen dumps for above, the account names are too long and you cannot see the RHS of them, so you cannot tell which account is which.

3) the example of Sale of stock with loss, uses the case where the sell price ($50) is exactly half the buy price ($100) which means there are several transactions for $5000. It would be much easier to understand if the sell price was not exactly half.

Keep up the great work,
Regards,

Chris Good