Documentation for Importation

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 15:49:30 EST 2012

Jerry--

For what it's worth, I would recommend going back in to Quicken and getting EVERYTHING categorized first, and then doing the Export/Import. Since you are probably more comfortable with the Quicken interface to begin with, it will be quicker that way. Then, when you go to import into Gnucash, you won't end up with a boatload of transactions in IMBALANCE-USD.

I seem to recall that I had to go through my transactions a number of times, searching for particular payees, and then changing the Quicken category to something appropriate. For example, I might search my transactions for all McDonald's payees, and then change every found transaction to "Dining" [if you could call it that!]

Frankly, I find that I end up doing this sort of exercise every once in a while (annually, if I am lazy, quarterly if I am not) to make sure that I am getting all my tax-deductible transactions into the appropriate buckets. That being said, I will hold to my suggestion that you do this before you do the export/import.

David