Help w/split transactions & "Read-only account message"

Mark Petrofsky mpetrof at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 15:41:12 EST 2012

Hello all,

I’m pretty sure that I entered one split transaction but this time – no go.
In my bank account I wanted to enter an automatic bill pay to AT&T and split it to two expense accounts. I got a number of different weird results for my efforts, but nothing that was correct.  I looked in the help contents and searched for “split transactions’ and came up dry (the closest I came was “multiple split transactions). I thought I’d seen instruction on entering split transactions when I first started with gnuCash but....

When I start gnuCash I get a “Read Only file” message and the instructions to uncheck the ‘placeholder checkbox’ in the Account Options window.  I can find neither and neither is referenced in the ‘help’ files.

Thanks for your help.

Mark P.