Posting invoices and bills

denisbkk denis at dcore.asia
Mon Oct 1 12:04:57 EDT 2012

Thanks Derek. So it seems like I was on the right track.

Now when I switch this situation around, meaning for the case when I get
billed by a vendor and need to withhold taxes myself, I found a behavior in
GnuCash that I do not quite understand:

1. I first enter a vendor bill, pick an expense account and post it to
accounts payable.

2. The I use the 'pay invoice function in GnuCash business menu. I enter the
bill amount (-withholding tax) and post it from A/P to the bank account I
paid with.

3. Now I use the pay invoice screen again to post the withholding tax.

*And here is the problem I have:* On the pay invoice screen, on the right
side tree accounts view, all Account payable accounts are removed and cannot
be picked.

Now you might say it makes sense but for withholding tax it doesn't I think:
At the moment of paying the vendor bill I do not pay the withholding tax to
the government yet. I just issue a withholding tax note to the vendor. So I
just want to move the withholding tax from A/P to a "withholding tax
payable" liability account. Then when I pay to the government at the end of
the month, then I can post from this liability account to transaction
account that I paid from (my bank account).

I can still achieve this as I can pick any account in the pay invoice screen
first....and then after I can actually manually change the entry as I
described above. but of course that is not ideal.

Am I making something totally wrong here or otherwise what is the reason
that you cannot choose any A/P account as a transaction account from the pay
invoice screen? Would'nt it make sense to do this in my case?