Online account setup help

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Oct 13 19:16:01 EDT 2012

On Oct 13, 2012, at 3:32 PM, John Oliver <joliver at john-oliver.net> wrote:

> gnucash 2.4.11 for Windows
>
> I need some help setting up Navy Federal Credit Union and Vanguard.  I
> have Vanguard set up, and when I hit "Retrieve Account List", it seems
> to work, but no account shows up:
>
> 15:26:53 Connecting to server...
> 15:26:53 Resolving hostname "vesnc.vanguard.com" ...
> 15:26:54 IP address is "192.175.192.161"
> 15:26:54 Connecting to "vesnc.vanguard.com"
> 15:26:54 Connected to "vesnc.vanguard.com"
> 15:26:55 Connected.
> 15:26:55 Sending message...
> 15:26:55 Message sent.
> 15:26:55 Waiting for response...
> 15:26:55 Receiving response...
> 15:26:55 HTTP-Status: 200 (OK)
> 15:26:55 Response received.
> 15:26:55 Disconnecting from server...
> 15:26:55 Disconnected.
> 15:26:55 Parsing response...
> 15:26:55 Parsing response
> 15:26:55 Status for signon request: Success (Code 0, severity "INFO")
> The server successfully processed the request.
> 15:26:55 Operation finished, you can now close this window.
>

> For Navy Federal, I'm just not sure how to set it up.  They give an
> Access Number, a User ID, and a Password.  I cannot find the right
> combination for GNUCash, and always get an error about an invalid user
> id / password.
>
> 15:28:16 Connecting to "mybranch.navyarmyfcu.com"
> 15:28:16 Connected to "mybranch.navyarmyfcu.com"
> 15:28:17 Signer not found
> 15:28:17 Certificate is not trusted
> 15:28:17 Certificate was not issued for this host
> 15:28:17 Connected.
> 15:28:17 Sending message...
> 15:28:17 Message sent.
> 15:28:17 Waiting for response...
> 15:28:17 Receiving response...
> 15:28:17 HTTP-Status: 200 (OK)
> 15:28:18 Response received.
> 15:28:18 Disconnecting from server...
> 15:28:18 Disconnected.
> 15:28:18 Parsing response...
> 15:28:18 Parsing response
> 15:28:18 Status for signon request: Signon invalid (Code 15500, severity
> "ERROR")
> The user cannot signon because he or she entered an invalid user ID or
> password.
> 15:28:18 Status for account info request: Signon invalid (Code 15500,
> severity "ERROR")
> The user cannot signon because he or she entered an invalid user ID or
> password.
> 15:28:18 Operation finished, you can now close this window.
>

> I was able to covnfigure a third bank and get accounts to show up so I
> know it isn't because I'm a complete idiot!
>
> Any assistance appreciated.

Umm, the URL at the top of the transcript is for Navy Army Federal Credit Union,
http://navyarmyfcu.com/about.aspx, which isn't the NFCU that most Navy personnel use (https://www.navyfederal.org/index.php). From a web search, NFCU doesn't appear to support OFX transfers.

As for Vanguard's account list, I've never managed to get that to work anywhere. Just configure the account manually.

Regards,
John Ralls