Scheduling a transaction for a rough estimate of payroll?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 15 10:05:00 EDT 2012

Hi,

Marc Sherman <msherman at projectile.ca> writes:

> Is it possible to schedule a future transaction for a rough estimate
> of payroll and still have it match the real transaction when I import
> from the bank (via .qfx)?
>
> I'm paid on commission, and the payroll date is pretty vague as well,
> because the boss figures the cheques by hand and sometimes runs
> late. So my payroll cheques can vary by as much as +/-$2000, and they
> arrive anywhere from the 1st of the month to as late as the 15th.
>
> I'd like to be able to schedule future transactions with a rough
> estimate of my paycheque for budgeting purposes, and then reconcile
> those with the real payroll transaction when it comes in to my bank
> account. But I'm finding that unless I get the estimated date within a
> day of the real transaction, and the amount withing about $500, the
> matcher doesn't see the estimated transaction.
>
> Is there any way to improve this or hint the matcher to use (or offer
> for manual selection) a transaction that's a poor match?

Unfortunately no.  SX is not designed for this, and there is no easy way
to change it.  You could make the SX a reminder, or have it ask you for
the amount using a variable, but no, there is no way to have it actually
create a real transactions and then later "fix" it via an import.