Re: Help with GnuCash! Why is there a “Rebate” column in the Expense account on GnuCash?

Robby Burns robbyburns2010 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 22:53:56 EDT 2012

My thanks to those who have tried to help me. It is amazing to me how
complicated this seems to be...considering that I was a math major in
college.

I guess all that means is that I can to multiplication and division in my
head...but I don't know how to set up accounting books.

To answer your questions about what I was trying to do, I was simply trying
to total up all my business expenses--plus itemized deductions on the
personal side (i.e.- medical)--and then geta total for each sub-category of
those expenses.

I was able to send each expense from the checking account into a
sub-category...but I ran into trouble when i tried to allocate certain
charges on my charge card to those sub-categories.

I do not have a separate credit card for business purposes. I have a very
small entertainment business, and never found it necessary to have one.

So, when I tried to itemize my credit card charges for 2011, I tried to
create an "account" titled "Credit Card Business Charges"...and then dump
each line item into the already established sub-categories from my business
checking account.

That is where I ran into the "Rebate" header. Mike, you told me,* "Don't
say anything about "rebate" or anything else you see strange about double
entry bookkeeping."*

How can I *avoid* saying anything about "rebate" if *that* is the issue I
find to be confusing?

I wound up using Quicken 2000 (12 years old) and it was very easy to create
a "Business Credit Card Charges" account...and to subdivide all the charges
into different categories.

Maybe I will try using GnuCash for my 2012 business year...if I can figure
it out.

Thank you all for your help. I wish I was smarter, so that all your efforts
*"ain't been in vain for nothin'" *(Name That Movie...and who said it?)

Robby