How do I set opening balance in checking account

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:43:27 EDT 2012

Thanks; I mixed-up "Equity:Opening Balances" (which is pre-configured)
with Stocks.

From: http://www.myinvestmentblog.com/getting-started-your-gnucash-checking-account

"Tab to the Account column and select Equity:Opening Balances from the
drop-down menu. This is the catch-all account which holds all your
starting balances. It's the "equity" you bring to the program when you
first start using it." -- this makes things clear.