Hotkeys and user interface

Algeorge agm.alistairgg at mailnull.com
Mon Sep 3 17:17:36 EDT 2012

John Ralls-2 wrote

> On Sep 2, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Algeorge <agm.alistairgg@> wrote:
> You might find View>Autosplit Mode useful. It automatically opens the
> split view for the active transaction.
>
> Yes, that's correct. Computing the percentage is an interesting approach,
> but I can't off the top of my head think of many cases where it would be
> correct.
>

> Hmm. I haven't experienced that behavior at all. When I keep typing after
> the autofill, it switches to overtype mode and keeps filling in. Only
> typing a right-arrow key accepts the autofill as-is and leaves one in the
> Description field to accept more typing.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Hi John.
In reply the order of above:
Perfect; I had not noticed Autosplit option <embarrassed>

Split memorised percentages are used by default in Quicken and Skrooge so
there must be a very valid reason for remembering not only transaction
details, but also the transaction percentages.
For example, your Power Bill may have a business allocation and a private
allocation. The split transaction when working properly calculates the
percentages of the Total entered in the register, thus alleviating
additional user input unless they want to change the percentages.
In practical terms, I use split percentages for about 1/4 of my register
input. To edit each split is excessively slow.
When I first used GNUcash a few years back, I really liked it (and donated
to the cause) but after a short while I found the data input a hindrance.
Preferred Skrooge as an alternative to Quicken, and have been using that for
a couple of years. Unfortunately, Skrooge does not operate multi-platform as
well as GNUcash (it uses KDE for Windows and has no Mac option).
Here is my review of Skrooge which includes demo of splits about 2/3 way
through:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzbtFBhIwc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzbtFBhIwc
I mention these desired functions, as ease/speed of input is a vital
consideration of any data input software IMHO.

Using Linux Mint which has been rock-solid with other softwares the autofill
problem must be being experienced by others.
Kind regards and thanks for the feedback,
Alistair George.