gnucash-user Digest, Vol 114, Issue 3

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:22:54 EDT 2012

You are correct that this is the way Gnucash currently works which is
different from other personal accounting systems you may have used in
the past. The "num" cell in the register points to the transaction
number field. Since there is only one of these per transaction and it
is displayed on the entry in the register (where each entry
corresponds to one split of the transaction) the value displayed in
the "num" cell is shared across all splits; changing it in one
register changes it in all. Some one already responded that by
displaying all the splits you can use another field, such as the
"action" field to accomplish what you may be used to with other
systems.

For your information, I am currently working on an enhancement which
will allow a user to set an option which will point the "num" cell in
the register to the split action field instead of the transaction
number field. This enhancement will allow you to configure Gnucash to
work the way you seem to expect. This enhancement, however, will not
be available until the next major release.