old stock, new gnucash stock account -- what action should I select in NUM field?

Michael Carney mwc-250sav at att.net
Wed Sep 5 18:15:40 EDT 2012

Greetings,

I've got a number of shares of stock, and I'd like to create a gnucash
account to keep track of them. Adding the stock was easy, as was the
stock's current value. What 'action' should I select to reflect my
starting number of shares? Choices are Buy, Dist, Dividend, Fee, Income,
Interest, LTCG, Price, Sell, Split, STCG. There doesn't appear to be
documentation describing these values and their purpose, although some
are obvious. I'm using Equity:opening Balances for Transfer.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mike