old stock, new gnucash stock account -- what action should I select in NUM field?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 18:46:22 EDT 2012

Mike--

It doesn't matter. The field is actually a free text field, and you can add anything you want to it. If I bothered, I'd probably put something like OPEN (for opening balance). Or, you might use SHRSIN (for shares in). For more, check out 4.2.3 of the Tutorial and Concepts guide (http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/txns-registers1.html).

My guess on the entries is:

Buy - Shares bought

Dist - Shares distributed
Dividend, Fee, Income, Interest  - obvious
LTCG - Long Term Capital Gains
Price, Sell, Split  - obvious
STCG - Short Term Capital Gains

David