Installing activeperl for automatic retrieval of quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 11 18:24:40 EDT 2012

On Sep 11, 2012, at 8:53 AM, MIchael <mgw1982 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running Ubuntu 12.04. I am completely new to linux based OS´s and i would appreciate as much guidance as possible to get this activeperl installed. I have searched for gnc-fq-update an my system and couldn´t find anything. I don´t know how to open a root shell etc. as per the linux instructions in section 8.6.3.1 of the gnu cash tutorial. a quick procedure written for a complete layman would be nice but as i said any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

ActivePerl is for Win32. Ubuntu already has Perl installed, so you need only run

sudo gnc-fq-update

to install Finance::Quote.

Looks like the Ubuntu package maintainer screwed up and didn't include gnc-fq-update. You'll need to file a bug with them.
While they're fixing it, you can download it from
https://raw.github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/trunk/src/quotes/gnc-fq-update.in

Rename it to gnc-fq-update and edit the first line to say
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

Regards,
John Ralls