Installing activeperl for automatic retrieval of quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Sep 12 01:08:52 EDT 2012

On Sep 11, 2012, at 5:42 PM, MIchael <mgw1982 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/09/12 08:09, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Sep 11, 2012, at 8:53 AM, MIchael <mgw1982 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I am running Ubuntu 12.04. I am completely new to linux based OS´s and i would appreciate as much guidance as possible to get this activeperl installed. I have searched for gnc-fq-update an my system and couldn´t find anything. I don´t know how to open a root shell etc. as per the linux instructions in section 8.6.3.1 of the gnu cash tutorial. a quick procedure written for a complete layman would be nice but as i said any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>> ActivePerl is for Win32. Ubuntu already has Perl installed, so you need only run
>>
>> sudo gnc-fq-update
>>
>> to install Finance::Quote.
>>
>> Looks like the Ubuntu package maintainer screwed up and didn't include gnc-fq-update. You'll need to file a bug with them.
>> While they're fixing it, you can download it from
>> https://raw.github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/trunk/src/quotes/gnc-fq-update.in
>>
>> Rename it to gnc-fq-update and edit the first line to say
>> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> Thank you John for your Response.
>
> Let me tell you what I have done so far.
> 1. I went to
>
> https://raw.github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/trunk/src/quotes/gnc-fq-update.in
>
> 2.  right clicked and saved as, to my desktop.
> 3. Renamed first line to
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> 4. Renamed the file to
>
> gnc-fq-update
>
> 5. I then went into the terminal to run ¨sudo gnc-fq-update¨ and nothing happened
> 6. I then typed in ¨which gnc-fq-update¨ and nothing happened.
>
> I know i must be doing something completely off base or missing out a really major step. I just don´t know what it could be because of how green i am to the ubuntu OS. Can you please let me know where i am going wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance

Please remember to copy the list on your replies -- use "Reply All" or, if your mailer provides it, "Reply List".

OK, I left out a couple of bits -- I neglected that you've never driven a unix command line before.

If you saved as gnc-fq-update.in, you'll need to rename it:
  mv gnc-fq-update.in gnc-fq-update
Next, you need to make it executable:
  chmod +x gnc-fq-update
Finally, by default unix shells won't execute files in the local directory unless you specify that that's the file you mean, so
you do
  sudo ./gnc-fq-update

You should have gotten an error message from the shell, though -- "bash: gnc-fq-update: command not found" or, if you had saved it with the right name, "bash: gnc-fq-update: permission denied".

Regards,
John Ralls