Income and Exp Comparison Reports

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Sep 12 17:50:40 EDT 2012

>Not really -

The annual reports for a 501(c)3 of which I am treasurer consists of
side by side "Revenue Statements" for just completed and previous years
and "Balance Sheet" reports ditto.

The DATA from gnucash is used for this, two Revenue Statements (the
report gnucash calls "Income Statement") and two Balance Sheets. The
accountant type who prepares the "pretty" annual report uses an editor
application to copy in this data, align it, add all the fixed text
(statement of accounting principles used) and variable text
(annotations, etc.). Because I used to make my living with financial
software when we first adopted gnucash I asked him "should I do some
custom coding here to produce the side by side reports" he said "don't
bother Mike -- STILL going to need an editor to insert text and I have
my favorite editor for that and ANY ACCOUNTANT WOULD HAVE HIS OR HER
FAVORITE and not want to learn some new one you provide.

Understand? Use gnucash to keep your books and produce the (raw)
reports. Use a full capability editor application to do the generalized
editing required for the finished product. No matter what special
purpose reports the gnucash developers provided you there would still be
other special purpose reports they didn't. In terms of how the finished
product should look there are no limits. It'd be a waste of time for the
gnucash developers to create (another) full capability editor.

Michael

PS -- If your question is:
a) how do I export reports form gnucash so I can manipulate the data?
b) how do I get the data from the formats into which gnucash can export
it into some other format used by editor Z (whatever)?

Ask -- but note that only "a" is really a question about gnucash