How to get stocks' total return?

risterian en9e-60hk at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Sep 13 23:58:59 EDT 2012

I recently imported data from Money to GnuCash.

Money made it very easy to see the total return of a stock -
offers Annual Return, and ROI All Dates.

GnuCash doesn't seem to have that.

The Advanced Portfolio report purports to show Total Return and
Rate of Return, but is incomplete - it leaves out anything
received in cash instead of shares - that is, non-reinvested
dividends and capital gains.  The import process put them in
their own accounts such as
Investing Income:Dividends:Etrade:Stock-Name
and there seems to be nothing that ties them up together.

Is there some report or screen or something where I can see the
actual total return?

Or, is there some means by which I can move all of the cash
transactions back to where they belong, with cash info under the
stock account itself, so the report shows correctly?  Hopefully
without manually doing it one by one.

Or, is there some alternate method of finding out total return?

I looked for "return" on the FAQ web page and didn't see anything
pertinent.

Ref: Windows XP SP2, GnuCash 2.4.11