-.gnucash files

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Sep 17 05:21:27 EDT 2012

On Mon 17 September 12 09:56:56 AlainCageda wrote:

>I have probably been mistaking "proper" file with backup files all along.
>How do I know one from the others? The file I'm looking for is probably
>lost somewhere and I don't know where to look.

Well, from the info you have supplied earlier in the thread, your original
file was PERSO (possibly with a .gnucash extension) without any timestamps.
However, since you have made changes to backups, I wouldn't worry too much
about the original file, now, it will be hoplessly out of date.  Make a new
"main" file, by doing a "save as" from the most recently edited datafile!

>I don't know why some files now go to "Documents" wheras they all
>(apparently) used to stay in "Users>My name". The only thing I did which
>apparently made a difference was Copying one file from "Users>My name" to
>Documents.

Yep, that would do it.  Copy file from place A to place B.  then you opened
the file in place B.  GC remembers the last data file opened, so if you start
the program directly (start menu, command prompt etc.)  you can easily end up
editing wrong or backup files.

Assuming that Windows knows it should open *.gnucash files with GC (KDE does),
I find that always starting GC by (double-)clicking on the data file I want to
work with is the best way to start GC.  (but then, I have 5 separate files
that I regularly use, so the last-opened one is usually wrong anyway!)

HTH,
Maf.