-.gnucash files

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 17 12:40:15 EDT 2012

On 9/17/2012 8:25 AM, AlainCageda wrote:
> Derek
>
> There was a lot of confusion in my mind between main files and autobackups. It's a lot clearer now. Thank you for your help.
>
> Alain

I believe that Alain is probably one of several thousand new users that
have been caught in this trap caused by the way backups are managed in
GnuCash.  I believe that it is about time that someone updates the
documentation in a very concise description, possibly based on the wiki
entry

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_is_my_file_name_getting_longer_and_longer.3F

referenced by Derek in a previous posting.

At one point I volunteered to help with improving the manuals but I was put off by the complexity (to a non-program developer) of the editing process and lack of assistance from those who might have been able to help me.

If there were a clear path for language majors to make an impact without learning how to use programs more complicated than Word or Open Office, I might try again.

David C