Edit prices for multiple gnucash files

spotty albino jehelsby at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 18 03:17:42 EDT 2012

Hello
I have a question relating to a small accounting practice. I will understand
if only personal accounting questions are welcome here.

I would like to use Gnucash to track investment portfolios for a number of
clients (100+). They are invested in unlisted unit trusts, so I can't
retrieve price information using Finance:Quote.

Is it possible to enter prices once and have them apply to all 100+ Gnucash
files (each representing a separate client)? Would I have to setup my own
'price server' and retrieve using Finance:Quote, or is this an operation I
could automate in Ubuntu?

If I must enter data manually for each of 100+ files, I may stick to
tracking portfolios with pen, paper and adding machine. I realise I might be
stretching the limits of Gnucash here. Unfortunately I've only run into dead
ends trying to find a commercial solution for my situation which I can try
before I spend many hundreds of dollars.

I would greatly appreciate any help offered
Regards
Joshua