Edit prices for multiple gnucash files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 18 09:30:44 EDT 2012

Hi,

spotty albino <jehelsby at iinet.net.au> writes:

> Hello
> I have a question relating to a small accounting practice. I will understand
> if only personal accounting questions are welcome here.
>
> I would like to use Gnucash to track investment portfolios for a number of
> clients (100+). They are invested in unlisted unit trusts, so I can't
> retrieve price information using Finance:Quote.
>
> Is it possible to enter prices once and have them apply to all 100+ Gnucash
> files (each representing a separate client)? Would I have to setup my own
> 'price server' and retrieve using Finance:Quote, or is this an operation I
> could automate in Ubuntu?
>
> If I must enter data manually for each of 100+ files, I may stick to
> tracking portfolios with pen, paper and adding machine. I realise I might be
> stretching the limits of Gnucash here. Unfortunately I've only run into dead
> ends trying to find a commercial solution for my situation which I can try
> before I spend many hundreds of dollars.

The best way to do this would be to set up your own quote server so that
you can pull it down.  Unfortunately there's not a good way to batch-add
prices to a bunch of different files.

Another option would be to write a script using the Python or Scheme
bindings that would let you insert a PriceDB entry programatically.
Then you can run the script against each of your 100 data files.