Setting up a Co-op

Malcolm Fitzgerald malcolm at notyourhomework.net
Wed Sep 19 19:50:55 EDT 2012

I'm wondering if GnuCash is the right choice.

As background:
We are a small not-for-profit fruit and vege co-op
We are based in Australia
We have a book-keeper who has said that the choice of software is up to us.

The co-op collects annual fees from members
The co-op sells groceries. The big dream is to be a retail grocery outlet but at present we offer a mixed fruit-vege box
The co-op purchases from distributors and producers.
There are no wages or employees, at this stage it is all volunteers.

I know that GnuCash is not a POS but we do need something to tracks our accounts.

The list we are considering are:

free - GnuCash <http://www.gnucash.org>

$99 - Nominal <http://www.nominal.com.au>

$189 - QuickBooks <http://home.quicken.com.au/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pcode=22>